spoon

Squid, Almond Biscotti, Edamame, Brie

Category:

Joe has quite a skill for stumping me with ingredients. Save for an omelette I made once with a little Brie in it, I had never cooked with any of these ingredients before. Back in Indiana, our friend Adam, an educated and fantastic chef, made a seafood stew for Joe before he left for Seattle. At the market, we found a whole squid and having watched Adam clean it, I knew I wanted to buy it ready to cook. It can be pretty gruesome and knowing that I had to eat what i was making, it just made more sense. Joe made it abundantly clear that breading and frying it would be a cop out, so had to come up with something else. 

What really bogged me down was coming up with a way to incorporate the squid and the Brie onto the same plate. So I stared with the other two ingredients. I came up with the idea for two different sauces. With the edamame, I made a pesto with some basil, olive oil, garlic, and some parmesan and Brie cheese. To use the almond biscotti, I had to be a little more creative. A Romesco sauce is a red sauce originating in Spain that has almonds, peppers, and tomato and is typically thickened with bread. My idea was to substitute the bread and almonds with the almond biscotti. Maybe a bit of a stretch, but it's kind of like bread and has almonds in it. Along with roasted red peppers, ancho chili powder, and tomatoes, my second sauce was complete.

To pull it all together, I made a flat bread pizza. The romesco served as the sauce with quickly sauteed squid rounds and caramelized onions as the toppings. I finished it with basil leaves, Parmesan and Brie cheeses, with a drizzle of pesto. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment