spoon

Okra, Lychee, Cashews, Sarcone's Roll

Category:

I had never seen a fresh lychee before going to the Asian market down on 6th Street and Washington Ave. A quick google image search gave me a general idea of what I was looking for, but when I found them, I was still surprised. The exterior looks like the outside of a nut, and the texture is hard and very rough. As soon as I got home from the store, I cut it open and found the white fleshy fruit inside. The taste is like a cross between a grape and a peach and my thought was that it's sweetness would go well with some chilies to make a sauce. A take on a Veloute, stock thickened with a roux, I cooked shallots with beef broth, added the roux, and processed with the lychee fruit. 

Now for those outside of Philadelphia, Sarcone's is a bakery that makes, among other things, the greatest hoagie rolls ever. They are made fresh daily and used two stores down in their deli. Since the Sarcone's roll is so delicious, I wanted to use it two ways. I dried out some of the bread in the oven and threw it in the food processor with the cashews to make a crust for the okra. I dipped the okra in egg wash, dredged it in my Sarcone's and cashew breading, and fried them to add some crunch. I also wanted to make a garlic bread. To give it a better garlic flavor, I cut a whole bulb of garlic in half, drizzled some olive oil and some salt, and roasted it for about 20 minutes. When it's done, it practically falls out of the husk and has a sweet aroma.  Mixed with a little butter, it made a spread for the baguette. 

To round out the meal, I cooked some jasmine rice and some skirt steak to go with the Lychee Chili Veloute and crispy fried okra with cashew breading. Here's how it turned out...

Comments (0)

Post a Comment