spoon

Grapefruit, Clams, Pretzels, Radishes

Category:

My first question was whether or not there was a specific radish I had to use. I bought a myriad of different varieties before I got my indifferent response. I ended up using daikon.

I started by thinking about how I could incorporate the pretzels into some kind of dough. I considered clam meatballs made with pretzel breadcrumbs over some kinda horrible grapefruit and radish ragout. I never went farther than just thinking about it.


My next idea was clam pot pie with pretzel crust. I opened up a few clams and chopped up a few potatoes and radishes and a few other veggies and made a small bowl of clam stew. But the radishes did not fit well at all and I decided to take them out of the pie. At this point I still hadn't come up with any grapefruit ideas and that was bothering me.



While researching pot pie crusts, I happened across a simple biscuit recipe that I could easily incorporate ground pretzels into. And grapefruit marmalade came shortly after.

I thought a soup and salad combo with a biscuit on the side would be great. I pickled the daikon with some carrots, beets and onions and tossed them all up in a homemade aioli for cole slaw, splashed bourbon into the marmalade to tone down the grapefruit tart and whipped up a classic new england clam chowder.

Comments (2)

After the cooking started, it didn't take long to figure out the soup. But the other elements of the dish were kept a secret until the very end. When Joe finally unveiled the complete plate, I was blown away by the creativity. Each of the chosen ingredients was highlighted in a different way using a number of different techniques.

Clam Chowder:
This was probably the best clam chowder I have ever had. It was clear that the stock he used for the soup was homemade and the clam flavor was in the forefront. The vegetables were cooked just right, still firm. My only wish was that it were just a little thicker, but all in all, it was excellent.

Radish Slaw:
The pickling was spot on, but the decision to add in some of the grapefruit rind made it a little less successful.

Pretzel Biscuit and Grapefruit Bourbon Marmalade:
The marmalade was the perfect balance between the tartness of the grapefruit and the sweetness from the bourbon. Very delicious. The pretzel biscuit definitely highlighted the pretzel taste, but was a little undercooked and doughy.

Overall, the ingredients were handled very well. The biggest critique I had with the entire meal was that it seemed fragmented. Each ingredient was ingenious, but didn't necessarily go with the others and make a cohesive dish.

-Jason

I do appreciate the rave review on the clam chowder. I agree that it could have benefited from a thicker broth, but I think the vegetables could have been softer. And salt was definitely a little too heavily applied.
The slaw was too strong and needed something like cabbage to spread its flavor out a bit. I liked the grapefruit rind.
Now, the marmalade was my favorite. I ate it for breakfast for weeks afterward.
Lastly... biscuits schmiscuits. These could have been much better.

-Joe

Post a Comment